Chinchillas belong to the crepuscular rodent family. They look like big squirrels. Chinchillas were first found in South America’s Andes mountain range. Today, they are commonly found in Chile only. The people residing in the Andes mountain range were known as Chinchas, and the animal has derived its name from this word.
Chinchillas are active throughout the night and sleep during the day. They have a thick fur on their body which has a tendency to get overheated at times, which is why you need to take care of them properly. Chinchilla’s teeth keep growing throughout. Every year, a chinchilla’s teeth grow by 12 inches at least. Due to the quality of their fur, dental growth and other physical attributes, chinchillas need to be taken care of properly. This article aims to provide you with a fair idea about chinchilla care.
Chinchilla care – Intro
Irrespective of buying chinchillas for sale or buying these animals anywhere else, you should take ultimate care of them. They have teeth that keep growing until they die; therefore, you have to be very careful about their eating habits and diet pattern. They have a very sensitive digestive system as well, which makes them allergic to certain foods, fruits, nuts, etc. When you are taking care of chinchillas, you should be thorough about the things that you need to maintain them. If you make a slight mistake here, your chinchilla can fall seriously sick, and it would become difficult for them to recover. If you have chinchillas as pets, you should be fully aware of chinchilla care information, so that you can give your pets the full care they deserve.
Chinchillas as pets – what should you know
Chinchilla care is a challenging task. It requires a lot of effort and time to take care of these animals because they are not like other pets. Their body structure is different, their fur growth needs care, they need hygienic and healthy food, and more importantly, they need foods that are compatible with their sensitive digestive system. Baby chinchillas for sale are available in plenty today. They are very cute and attractive; however, they also demand a lot of your attention. The chinchilla lifespan is on an average of 10 years, especially the long-tailed ones. Here are some points that you need to know if you think of having chinchillas as pets.
- Chinchillas need chew toys continuously because their teeth keep growing continuously.
- Throughout the chinchilla lifespan, you need to dedicate a lot of out time for your pets, because they love to jump about.
- When they chew on foods that they are not supposed to chew, they get attacked by allergies. Hence, it is important to have a detailed chinchilla care guide and follow that meticulously when you have chinchillas as pets.
- The medical expenses of chinchillas run into hundreds of dollars; therefore, even if you get chinchillas for sale at a reasonable rate, you still have to be ready to pay exorbitant medical charges.
Important points on chinchilla care guide
Are you wondering about how to take care of chinchillas? Here are a few chinchilla care steps that you need to follow:
- Ensure that you give only filtered and distilled drinking water for your chinchillas. Pour water in a bottle and remember to change the water every day. Clean the bottle thoroughly daily to avoid bacterial growth.
- Throughout the chinchilla lifespan, their teeth keep growing. Hence, one of the most important steps in taking care of chinchillas is following a strict diet pattern for them. Know the difference between chinchilla foods and chinchilla treats.
- Include a lot of plant proteins and fibers in their foods. Limit the intake of fruits and nuts to about twice a week as it can cause digestive issues for them.
- Giving dust baths is an important part of chinchilla care guide. You should ensure that you don’t wet this fur, as it can cause fungal infection for pets. Dust baths help chinchillas get rid of oil and grease in their fur.
- If you have chinchillas as pets, you have to invest in chinchilla toys as well. These chew toys are essential for the development of the teeth of your pets. Some of the excellent chinchilla toys and accessories are tree branches, tubes, toilet rolls, wooden pieces, ladders, medium-sized rocks, cardboard boxes and other fish bones.
- Chinchilla metal exercise wheels are an important part of chinchilla care information manual. You should invest in proper chinchilla wheels to give active exercise and entertainment for your pets so that their body remains healthy.
- Plan for a chinchilla litter box and place it in a strategic location so that you can avoid the bad smell in your house. Fill the litter box with aspen pellets for better results.
- Can chinchilla care be complete without mentioning about chinchilla bedding? You have to use materials that absorb the urine of chinchillas. Pine wood shavings, carefresh and aspen, are good choices for bedding for chinchillas. You have to avoid materials like cedar wood, mixed wood, cat litter, corn cob and synthetic bedding because chinchillas get allergies.
- A chinchilla carrier and a chinchilla travel cage are two important parts of chinchilla care. Ensure you choose the right size of your chinchilla carrier so that your pets are comfortable and still don’t escape easily.
Buying chinchillas for sale
Most of the times, people buy chinchillas because they are cute; however, they get petrified with the do’s and don ts of chinchilla care. Therefore, they abandon their pets at some relief centres. This is why you can find lots of baby chinchillas for sale today. If you are planning to have chinchillas as pets, here are a few points to consider before buying them.
- When you see any advertisement about a chinchilla for sale, never get tempted to invest your money in it. Chinchilla care is quite a demanding subject, and you should be prepared to take up the risks that are associated with it as well.
- Apart from investing in chinchillas, you also need to invest in other accessories like chinchilla bedding, chinchilla toys, chinchilla carriers & travel cages and chinchilla exercise wheels.
- You might be impressed at yourself for buying a chinchilla for sale at a highly affordable price. However, you should remember that chinchillas are quite restless by nature. They need to go out frequently, and you have to make time for the same. They need to be taken to open places for jumping and moving about. If you keep them still in cages for a long while, they get into trouble by biting their fur and getting injured.
- Chinchillas are very expensive to maintain; their medical bills are quite high, and they need high-quality hay and grass for their diet. Also, you should use filtered and distilled water for them, as they develop allergies.
- Chinchilla lifespan can sometimes increase to 20 years as well; hence, you should be prepared for a long-time commitment when you think of having chinchillas as pets.
- It is highly recommended that you approach adoption and pet care centres when you want to buy chinchillas. You can buy a chinchilla for sale or a baby chinchilla for sale from these centres as they would have been abandoned by their previous owners.
How much does a chinchilla cost?
The chinchilla price structure varies according to the type, size and age of the pets that you choose. Ideally, chinchillas are considered to be quite costly when compared to other pets like dogs and cats. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you choose a chinchilla for sale from one of the adoption centres. Here are some points related to the chinchilla price structure:
- The normal grey chinchillas cost around $50.
- Female chinchillas cost around $113
- Black chinchillas cost around $125-150.
- Beige chinchillas cost around $100-$130
- Lavender Chinchillas that have a white chest cost around $125-$160.
- White chinchillas cost around $162-$187
- Charcoal coloured chinchillas around $100-$125
However, this is not all to your chinchilla care guide. You also have to spend additional charges for cages, habitat toys, litter boxes, water bottles, dust bath tubs, pellet feeders, straw litter runs, wood pellets and carriers. Since chinchillas are prone to allergies, you should be ready to bear a huge cost towards maintaining them. Therefore, even if you get a good deal at the time of buying a baby chinchilla for sale, you still cannot get away from the exorbitant maintenance costs.
In a nutshell, you have to spend a lot of time and effort before you think of having chinchillas as pets. They demand too much of your time, attention, sleep and peace of mind; therefore, ensure that you invest in it only if you are up for the challenge. Yes, they are quite cute and attractive. Nevertheless, they are also too active and prone to diseases. If you don’t keep them occupied, they can cause self-destruction, which can sometimes turn fatal also. Chinchilla care is an extensive subject, and it needs you to be on high alert always.